Saturday, July 30, 2011

AT THE END

There are many "ends" in life, but the biggest one is when life itself comes to an end.  A lovely young lady came to the end of her life recently.  The funeral of this friend of mine was a true blessing to me and others.  My friend had the privilege of planning her own funeral.  The statement she wanted to make - what she wanted everyone to leave knowing - was that the most important thing of all in our time on earth - is Jesus.

It is sad knowing she is gone, but how thrilling to know that (as she put in her obituary) she was "sure of her salvation".  She wanted the funeral to be a celebration of her life.  She wanted the songs to be about salvation. She even made sure the service included an invitation for people to accept Jesus. 

I've been to a lot of funerals, but can't remember one that stuck with me like this one has.  We can labor and stew over many things while we live on this earth; we can succeed or fail, we can enjoy life or not. The fact is, what we gain here in THIS life is not something that gets us to heaven.  Only belief in Jesus, and asking His forgiveness, gets us eternal life.

My friend was SURE of her salvation and understood completely the need for others to have it. She had one last opportunity to tell that to others - at her funeral. Thank you my friend for a testimony like that!

John 5:2-4  says "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes in him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life".

No comments:

Post a Comment